Nomad sets a 10% reward for hackers who return stolen cryptocurrency

Vintage Wanted Posters Hang On The Wall, One A $6,500 Bonus For Sundance Kid, And Another $25.00 For Jesse James

picture: Tino Bandetto (stock struggle)

The Sheriff of Decentralized Finance Project Nomad has plastered the internet’s walls with wanted posters on a recent $190 million hack of the company’s systems. Nomad is trying to play cute about the robbery, and she is Dozens who do not do well are asked to voluntarily surrender their share of illicit gains. If you do, Nomad will do it Allows you to keep 10% of your illegal earnings and company pioneers Prepare They won’t do that dogs on you.

On Monday, the Ramzi Bedouin Bridge Experienced what was in the beginning $2.3 millionbut reports from crypto security companies showed that a file The breach allows users to bypass the verification messages normally required to access the platform. Users simply copy and paste the original hacker’s transaction number and replace it with their own, letting them have fun. A crypto bridge essentially connects several blockchain networks together, and the bulk of the $190 million stolen was $84 million, according to Wednesday reports.

Nomad said in a statement Thursday evening that anyone who returns 90% of their money stolen from the bridge will keep the remaining 10% and be considered a “white hat hacker” for all intents and purposes of no legal action. The company said that these supposedly good actors can return the stolen ETH/ERC-20 to the found Anchorage digital wallet. over here.

The company said $20 million has already been returned thanks to a few of these “white hats” although a number of them may have been users walking back to the bridge with Shake their heads to exploit the vulnerability. There are cases where hackers turn around and return their stolen cryptocurrency. The most famous case was that of a hacker “Mr. White Hat” who stole more than $600 million from the DeFi Poly Network, then turned around and Bring it all back After a few weeks. The hacker said he was only trying to “contribute to the security of the Poly project.”

Although it It becomes a much more difficult task when there are a large number of hackers involved. Barani Mohan, CEO of Nomad, said in a statement that the company The main goal was to get the money back of the interconnected users, but that also wanted “To pursue all other malicious actors to the fullest extent of the law.”

Gizmodo reached out to Nomad to ask if the company We knew the total number of wallets that committed hacks and the number of “white hats” who returned their cryptocurrency, but we did not immediately receive a response on Friday.

Nomad’s statement also stated that I was Working with blockchain security firm TRM Labs to try to identify the wallets of those who stole the funds. This can be tricky, considering the security of fellow crypto a company Determine the ellipticity More than 40 exploited wallets are involved. The biggest breach was apparently $42 million. Elliptical It was also reported that there were wallets linked to other previous crypto thefts that dug into Nomad’s exposed wing this week.

However, it is not easy to connect a real person to his wallet It’s done Using old school detective work. Other famous hacking groups responsible for other multi-million dollar bridge thefts such as North Korea’s Lazarus Group get rid of Much bigger theftsAnd they are still at large. Crypto thieves have also been known to put their stolen funds in mixers To help conceal the source of their origins.

Nomad’s breakthrough was great, but it was just eighth largest One this year, according to Elliptic. These hacks proved a huge drain on the cryptocurrency industry that is still dealing with the turmoil of the decline in the prices of the major currencies. separate Solana network hack More than $5.2 million drained from individual portfolios earlier this week.

Leave a Comment